Monday 8 July 2013

Light

I finally got a nice picture of the Sun Yat Sen statue that no one seems to notice as they exercise around the circle of track that surrounds him. Victoria harbour is behind him and an old industrial area of Kowloon whose water front is curtained by luxury high rise flats. Hong Kong has the most expensive real estate in the world right now buoyed by mainland money.

It's ironic that none of the mainland tourists come here. And few Hong Kong'ers come here to think about what this man stood for.

On a sunny hot day, he is eclipsed by money and crowds and furious economic growth. Light bathes him but few see that his leadership began an awakening in China that has yet to be fully realized.

For the material and cultural upheaval of China during my life time so far is quite void of cultural direction. It has all been about power in small groups and now money for a new nouveau riche / middle class. This hot money which keeps Hong Kong expensive is empty and ignores anything Sun Yat Sen stood for. So I guess it's right no one comes here.

For me personally, seeing this statue every time I come here to swim reminds me of truth and ideas that guide civilization and culture. It needs money and power but the direction must be guided by truth and ideas. And these in turn have to do with light and seeing.

I am finally seeing what my passion is and how my life has been designed over the half century of my life. I lost my way for a while because I became disillusioned, distracted and blinded by darkness.

I feel like the Sun is shining in my heart and my eyes are being opened to see more clearly everyday. The rain has washed away my past and all of me is being pushed by my convictions. That's why this picture called me. I finally captured this moment of Sun shine on the dream of this man for a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment