Monday 7 October 2013

Dancing to "Lies"

In "Never gonna break my faith", Aretha sings with Mary J:
"Now i Know that life is meant to be hard
[...]
You can lie to a child with a smilin' face  [....]
You can cast the first stones you can break my bones
But your never gonna break Your never gonna break my Faith"

In "Lies" Jonathan Butler sings:
"Lies" as if in celebration.

Both are old old old. I'm after the feelings and the contrast here. About a year ago when I noticed the song about faith as if for the first time, it hurt when I heard the lyrics I posted.

Then a few days ago, I remembered I used to have this old song on vinyl called Lies. Again, I it was like I heard it for the first time celebrating even though the one he loves is lying.

In parallel, I moved from feeling hurt by believing people would help me in my time of need to having (few but moving towards) no worries, no grudges and much much healed to celebrate that I've been lied to, just like the song.

Just like my blog, it could be self-indulgent if I thought I did it all by myself. Instead, I am grateful to God, my family, friends and strangers who have blessed me, pushed me or just listened. Go to the first entry of a previous blog and hear the song "Be grateful". I feel this song in all its sass and infectious rhythms. Just like life, you have to go through a slow grind of reason before you start dancing. I'm dancing now because I'm learning to live again even in the midst of bullsh*t.

No comments:

Post a Comment