Wednesday 26 June 2013

Useful anger

I come from a melodramatic family which is rare in Hong Kong where it's more about conforming. I'm all for expressing oneself but anger is so often used detrimentally or  use up too much energy. So I've often avoided it because it seems to cause more trouble than it solves.

But there is a time to be angry.  Protecting those we love, speaking out against oppression and standing up for valuable life affirming principles may be useful times to express anger.

As I'm finding balance in my life again free from fear and dread, I don't want to be like the "hulk" and be constantly angry. I wince sometimes at the violent rushing and panic that city people can embrace, but I want to save this useful emotion of anger for when it points out injustice or danger.

So since I'm no saint, opportunities for anger are rare. Instead I revel in the beauty that has always been there but hidden by fear, worry, schedules and other distractions to enjoy life. And leave those who wish to nurture peripheral pursuits to their own devices.
Sun Yat Sen and his famous tagline are unnoticed just like the great view behind them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment