Thursday 5 December 2013

Love song Christmas

Love songs are a staple in music but I think there are as many about breaking up as about celebrating love. For me, I hear a love song at Christmas. One of God who wants to be close to us.

Our response: say what? how can the Master of the Universe be our friend? We need laws. We are unworthy. You don't exist. Why is there suffering? Who created evil?... Anything but get close to me. It's too embarrassing/uncomfortable...

I always wonder at the aversion to closeness in so many many people. Maybe we are all waiting for the right guy/girl. But why do some parents not want to be close to their own children? Or even worse, to take sexual advantage of them because sex is often mistaken for intimacy (just google the word and see how many sexually implicit pics appear).

But the story of Christmas is God becoming human. It is the ultimate way to reach out for closeness, personal intimacy and companionship. Even if you don't believe this, it's still a love song! Do you hear what I hear? I hear the story of the most anyone can do to be our closest friend: I hear God say all I want is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment