Wednesday 25 December 2013

Why Joy?

I think Christmas is a mystery because it means so many different things: presents, peace, Jesus, a child, a sacrifice, love, vacation, family, snow, church, mass, Christmas trees, lights, music, dinner, drinks, plays, nostalgia, Santa, singing...

I wonder if anyone will ask why Joy? I love the way Whitney and Georgia Mass Choir sang it in the 90's at the height of her popularity and her voice. Though she is gone, her voice lives on. And this song is about Joy in all its celestial folly and celebratory raucous. Why go crazy with Joy?

A lot of the music I post is as a friend puts it, is "a bunch of black people singing". I wish I could live like those who sing so freely, so full of expression, so rhythmically and so soulfully. The last one: soul.. is the key to musicality. You can be perfect in technique but have no soul.

I won't answer my own question because I'm still uncovering the depth of it in ALL of my life, not just the warm and fuzzy moments but also when I am beaten down. To give a hint of the answer, I'll just say Peace and Joy comes when we know the pain of crying out in the dark to know there is an answer. Much like this rendition of "Pass me not" done around the same time as Whitney's "Joy to the world".

Both songs are celebrating the same thing. At least I feel and see it that way now.

Happy everyday! (during and beyond the holidays).

No comments:

Post a Comment