Thursday 19 December 2013

The mystery of time

Beat the clock is good for athletic training and not much else. Yet we are rushing around like we are training for something. I know. The goal has always been to be productive by doing as much as possible in the time we have.  

Many talk about time as if it were something that always existed. It is really just a measurement of change. If nothing changes, time has no meaning. How does it apply to the concept that "there is nothing new under the Sun"? I posted a song earlier whose first line is "Nothing ever changes. Everything remains the same. We are what we are 'til the day that we die."

Change is hard and rushing around is not the key. I found that my own change happened from within, during silence, while I cried, conversed, sang, listened, thought, read, swam, walked, watched... speed was seldom needed. I waited and I changed.

If time measures change, then it may be most meaningful if we slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment