Monday 10 February 2014

"Can't take this away" revisited

I had this song in my car stereo cassette which played about 5 times before another song. Its much easier with digital memory now. The rhythm and electronic sounds are outdated. Current instruments sound much better and the arrangement is definitely early 90's. But when you get to the celebratory chorus and finale which echo the sassy first line: "this joy I have, the world didn't give it to me and the world can't take it away!" by repeating "it's mine!... mine!... can't take this away!"

The first time I heard it, I danced in my room and today I felt that again. You see, the music I love and listen to over and over are not just admiration or enjoyment, I participate, celebrate, perform, dance, sing deep deep inside me. The matter of fact proclamations from Bebe and Cece (brother and sister) Winans may or may not be the same as what I feel but that's what Art is. It is made by us and then exists on its own. Then it can be relived, reinterpreted and take on more or less meaning as we enjoy it and live it.

Creation is thus.

Oh the song I'm raving about was first posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment