Tuesday 18 February 2014

Shelter

Most people build a life to shelter us from danger. Wise. But fortresses and fixed assets can also keep us from moving forward. I never had an urge to build huge reserves of wealth. Some would say foolishly because when I got sick and could not make money, my life looked pretty precarious from a financial planning point of view.

Some of the most conservative financially people are my own: the Chinese. But they are also the ones who made Macau gambling surpass Las Vegas in a few short years.

Will financial success be it from prudent planning or winning at a bet (even in business) give us shelter? But shelter from what?

Is it risk? People? Failure? Youthful dreams?

Poverty, being a no-body, boredom, incarceration, sickness, slavery are fearful because they limit us. But what if we live to limit ourselves preemptively? Because tomorrow is a forever unknown (as in my last entry), it is tempting to try and limit the unexpected.

To censor our own freedom is like suicide just as the fear of death can kill our spirit.

What I experienced since my 18 day incarceration and the series of unfortunate events that brought me to my recent revival are storms, the feeling of having no exit, completely helplessness, total failure and the worst of all for me is complete silence.

I found shelter. Shelter from drought, from dying before I'm dead, from all the fear of more storms and most of all compassion for those who live in existential silence. Like my first sentence in my last blog posting, it's impossible for those who are blind to see the are blind, the deaf to know they are deaf unless they see and hear (at which point, they are healed).

I do not want shelter from the risk of knowing the truth which can be much more scary than knowing nothing. The shelter I found is from fear because I know what love is more deeply each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment