Friday 10 May 2013

Knowing what you want

The song celebrates the joy of knowing what you want and someone who cares. I believe "what you want" is key to a lot of things. Depression, envy, happiness and good relationships. In many love stories, saying you love someone is difficult and is often used to keep audiences guessing if the main characters are actually in love or not. It's in so many soap operas, comedies, detective series, movies and real life, it shows we all want to know when love works.

But I'm not going to talk about romance here. Let's think about what I want when I'm alone or what to do for work. The first thing to remove is the thought that if I had money, I would know. Or if I had so and so with this list of qualities, I would love him/her.

Here are 2 examples: A rich property owner with many assets in major cities lives a secluded life and has little desire to see anyone because he mourns the death of his favorite son. A poor father in the country side sells his blood to earn enough money to pay for the tuition of his favorite son who refuses to be in contact and has all but disappeared in the big city. Both wanted their son to love them when they are gone. Money or objective qualities have little to do with fulfillment.

I do not have an answer for their grief and predicament. But I do know that knowing what you want, being able to talk about it and being able to adjust the journey is key. I think we all want true love but most get lost in where it resides.

Here are a few signs I've experienced:

  1. Love is free. Would he/she stick around if there were no money?
  2. Sticking around "for no good reason" is important.
  3. What we want changes but is grounded in the relationships that we think gives us true love.

So it seems it all starts with knowing who you love and want to love you back, talking about what you want and living out a journey. It's not easy but how hard is making up your own mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment