Friday 10 January 2014

Yes, Ja, Da, Shi, Hai, Oui, Si....

If you just take the gospel music I like only in the context of a church choir and the superficial understanding of the words at face value, it's not what it's all about for me. The truth I focus on is the intimate yet loud, strong and powerful proclamation and cry for help, for love, for truth, for hope, for beauty and the "eternal Yes" of Mr. Emerson in "A room with a view".

Though the music is set in a church, mostly among African Americans, with strong rhythm and soulful singing, I love this music because they express the cry for help, for affirmation, for salvation... In fact, it exists everywhere but not with everyone. For some reason, many do not cry out like the singer did, like I did....

Most of the music I love is related to this raw human need to fix loneliness, our broken heart, face the tragedy of human indifference, adjust callous policies that kill the soul... From Stravinsky, to french sad songs, to black gospel choirs, to jazz and hip hop I hear and sing with them.

So the title highlights a few ways to say yes in world with all the colors of emphasis and escape that each culture tends to encourage. My words in my blog are not religious but personal and merely proclaims "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" .... and that's the point of loving and living. Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment