Sunday 28 April 2013

Allowed to fail


I lamented the effort I make to comfort those around me out of habit. That's what I naturally do. After prison, I tried to comfort my dad saying it was not as bad as they think. He reacted by scolding me for causing them so much worry while I "enjoyed" it. I had to explain they were words of comfort.

Even during sickness I found myself assuring everyone I'm improving to lighten their concern. Who asked me to do that? I see so many just resigning to their condition and rely on the comfort of others. I need to be comforted too and as I lamented my feeling that I am not allowed to fail, I knew I was wrong. I CAN fail!

Be they rich or poor, people cannot find peace, confidence and love by trying to ensure they do not fail. They all draw lines to measure it. The rich have their expensive requirements, usually linked to a self imposed image they must project. Ironically, those with little money often find the same pressure to impress. There is just no peace in this struggle for acceptance.

Love is about surrender. Two way love is even harder to come by. No matter how it comes about, true love passes no judgement on personal performance. There is unconditional acceptance, support and encouragement. It's like being caught as I fall from exhaustion without checking if there is anyone behind me. There is!

No comments:

Post a Comment