Thursday 18 April 2013

Is fear contrived?


We don't have to be afraid if nothing "bad" happens. Unlike pain which is a natural warning, fear is more complicated. I always hated wild life shows because of the possibility of seeing a baby animal get hurt or die. They know no fear so I'm afraid for them. Some would call me squeamish or soft.

In the song the choir proclaims "I'm not afraid of the darkness". When I sang this many years ago, I had not experienced real fear so did not know the passionate relief of conquering it.

I won't analyse why we fear because if you feel it (for whatever reason) we have to follow it or overcome it. There is no other choice. After being afraid of just about everything for a long time, I feel this joy of the proclamation. "I'm not afraid anymore".

Maybe if I seek out my fear, face it and walk through it, I'll see it is really nothing of consequence: contrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment